Apply For

  1. Boat Titles & Registration

    Contact the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries at 877-898-2628 for titles. Registration applications and cards may be obtained from any boat dealer or at our Satellite Services office. All boats, jet skis, etc., must be registered with the Commissioner of the Revenue within 30 days of purchase.

  2. Board or Commission Vacancy

  3. Building Permits & Inspections

    The Building Safety and Permits Division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. This includes the review and the issuance of building permits and conducting the required building inspections. Applications for such permits can be made to the Building Safety and Permits Division or at Satellite Services.

  4. Business License

    Applications and renewals for business licenses are processed through the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office. That office can be reached at 757-253-6698. Any change that may be needed on your account will also be handled in that office.

  5. Concealed Handgun Permit

    Applicants for a concealed handgun permit may download and print the form (SP-248 Application for Concealed Handgun Permit) from the Virginia State Police website. The State Police no longer provides applications to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.

  6. Dog License

    Please fill out a Dog Tag Application Form (PDF). Please note that your certificate must be valid at the time of application. Renewal period is November 1 to January 31 each year. Must send valid rabies certificate for each dog. Tag will expire same year as certificate. Optional multi-year tags available if eligible. Certificates and tags will be returned by mail. The tag must be on your dog by January 31 of every year.

  7. Employment Opportunities

    View a list of current employment opportunities and find out how to apply to work with the County.

  8. Fishing & Hunting Licenses

    Licenses may be purchased at our Satellite Services office or at some local sporting goods stores. For more information, contact the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries at 804-367-1000.

  9. Library Card

    Anyone who resides or owns a business or property in a city or county that funds the Williamsburg Regional Library may obtain a library card. Card privileges may be restricted. A list of privileges is available upon request.

  1. Marriage License

    The Marriage License fee is $30 cash or check. Both parties must appear before the Clerk to obtain a license and must be 18 years of age or older (proof of age required with either a valid drivers license with picture, passport or military identification), or if between 16 and 18, a parent must appear with identification. The court will provide a special affidavit for the parents' signature. If 1 parent has legal custody, we will need a certified copy of the court order and a certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate that includes both parents’ names.

  2. Passport

    The Circuit Court Clerk's Office no longer processes passport applications. Applications can be obtained by visiting the Department of State website. Additional passport information may be obtained from the website such how to obtain a birth certificate, view travel warnings and learn about visa requirements.

  3. Rental Assistance

    The purpose of VHSP is to provide temporary rental or mortgage assistance and supportive services related to housing and financial literacy issues for individuals and families experiencing a financial crisis and being evicted to try to remain housed. This program also assists individuals and families residing in shelters or on the street to be rapidly rehoused.

  4. Special Events Permit Application

    A Special Event Permit is required to hold any outdoor gathering, musical or entertainment festival, parade, or road race as defined in Chapter 14 of the Code of James City County.

  5. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

    SNAP can be used like cash to buy eligible food items from authorized retailers. Authorized retailers will display either the Quest logo or a picture of a Virginia EBT card. A SNAP account is established for eligible households and automatic deposits are made into the account each month. To access the account, they will also receive an EBT Card, which will debit the account each time eligible food items are purchased. A secret Personal Identification Number (PIN) is required to use the card.

  6. Tax Exemptions

    Find out about tax exemptions you may be eligible for, including accessible vehicle exemptions, disabled veteran exemptions, elderly and disabled real estate exemptions, land use exemptions and military exemptions.

  7. Vehicle Licenses, Titles, Tags & Registrations

    Motor vehicles must be registered with the Commissioner of the Revenue within 30 days of moving within James City County. A one-time fee of $10 is charged for each newly registered vehicle.

  8. Voter Registration

    Find out eligibility requirements to register to vote in Virginia, how to obtain a registration application and upcoming registration deadlines.

  9. Water Conservation Rebates

    In order to save additional water, consider indoor and outdoor water conservation techniques and other rebates from our Let’s Be WaterSmart program including mulching and drought tolerant plant selection, reduction of turf and irrigation area, and installation of WaterSense and EnergyStar labeled products such as faucets, landscape irrigation services, showerheads, and appliances. Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense or EnergyStar websites for more information.