Join the James City County Police Department (JCCPD) and start a career by being part of a team dedicated to providing comprehensive law enforcement services and programs to the citizens of our community. As a James City County Police Officer, you will be offered many challenging opportunities for specialized training assignments and career development.
The Police Department has more than 100 full-time sworn law enforcement officers and responds to more than 21,000 calls for service each year.
JCCPD is a mid-size department with large department opportunities: Marine Patrol, Underwater Search and Recovery, SWAT, Police Motors, a take-home car, a gym and more. James City County offers an excellent and competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance, retirement, life insurance, tuition assistance, a home ownership program and more.
Our officers are team players with outstanding communication skills delivering quality police services while conveying community values that reflect a strong commitment to quality of life, customer service and cultural diversity.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
We are a military-friendly employer.
Click on the "Find Out When We're Hiring" link on the left to be notified when we are accepting applications.
Visit James City County's Career Center to apply.
Please note that applying is a two-part process:
- Complete your profile
- Submit your application
Step-by-step Instructions for Completing the Employment Application (PDF)
Applicants are encouraged to include (upload in your profile) a cover letter, resume and any other documents that would complement your application; however, only applicants with fully completed applications will be considered.
Applicants should be thorough and detailed in completing all fields and tabs in the application.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review disqualifiers before completing a James City
County employment application. Eligibility requirements:
- Minimum of 21 years of age upon completion of initial training
- U.S. Citizen
- High school diploma/GED
- Acceptable driving record
- No felony convictions
Offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a thorough background
- Fitness assessment
- Lift a 50 lb. weight from the ground to waist and then waist level to shoulder, carry it continuously for 25 feet (either at waist level or/and shoulder level), and then place gently on the ground.
- Ascend 3 flights of stairs in 25 seconds or under.
- Descend 3 flights of stairs in 20 seconds or under.
- Walk a distance of 300 feet on a surface comprised of both flat and rough terrain in 70 seconds or under.
- Run a distance of 300 feet on a surface comprised of both flat and rough terrain in 45 seconds or under.
- Bend forward and lower self to a prone position in 6 seconds or under. While in prone position, return to standing position unassisted in 7 seconds or under.
- Extend arms outward, grasp firearm with both hands, pull slide to the rear and release. Using no support hand, pull trigger a total of 10 times with the right index finger and again with left index finger.
- Psychological profile assessment
- Polygraph examination
- Physical examination with drug test
James City County offers a competitive benefits and compensation package, including a take-home car program; participation in Virginia Retirement System (LEOS); 12 paid holidays; tuition assistance; a first-time home-buyers assistance program; a free membership to James City County Recreation Center (fitness, pool) and eligibility for career advancement pay increases.
Non-certified police recruits must complete a 17-week basic law enforcement course at the Hampton Roads Criminal Justice Training Academy and then complete a field training program. Police recruits will receive a 4% pay increase upon successful completion of the academy and field training.
Pre-certified (in Virginia) law enforcement officers are brought in at a higher salary depending upon qualifications, do not have to attend the academy, but are required to complete a field training program.
Pre-certified (out of state) law enforcement officers must have at least 5 years of post-field training experience with another law enforcement agency in order to be considered by Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services for a waiver for the 17-week basic law enforcement course.
Career development opportunities include advancement to Police Officer II, Senior Officer and Master Officer with a 4% pay increase at each step.
The Department offers many opportunities for career development, specialized assignments and training including SWAT, marine patrol, bike patrol, traffic services, crisis negotiations, motorcycles, underwater search and recovery, crime prevention, school resource officer, general instructor, field training officer, honor guard and field force.
James City County is a great place to live, work and play! With a great quality of life, James City County offers top-notch education, access to healthcare, history, arts and many recreational activities which makes the County a vibrant community where there is always something to do!
Learn more about James City County Government.
- Employment with the Police Department (PDF) including qualifications and disqualifiers
- Job Description (PDF)
- Step-by-step Instructions for Completing the Employment Application (PDF)
- Teams & Specialty Units
Thank you for your interest in James City County Police Department!