- Human Resources
About the Department
James City County focuses on the needs of the community by fostering citizen participation and involvement in local government. By maintaining a well-trained, professional and ethical staff, we continually strive to make James City County the best community to live, work and visit.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Human Resources Department oversees County employment, employee relations, benefits, training, strategic management, policy development and compensation.
Approximately 1,000 employees work in full-time, seasonal, temporary and on-call positions. Human Resources is dedicated to attracting and retaining excellent employees that provide a wide range of services to citizens, including public safety, parks and recreation, water and social services. Our employees also provide internal services such as accounting, fleet maintenance, and information resources.
We are committed to the following values:
- Integrity. Earn confidence and respect by aligning our values, words and actions
- Collaboration. Make better decisions by building partnerships and sharing knowledge and resources
- Excellence. Provide outstanding customer service by striving to be the best in everything we do
- Stewardship. Improve our quality of life by safeguarding and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
- Civility. Seek common ground as a starting point for dialogue about differences, listening past one’s preconceptions, and teaching others to do the same.
James City County is V3 Certified
Hiring Virginia veterans makes good business sense. Virginia is home to thousands of military veterans and active service members who are transitioning to civilian life. These men and women are eager, educated and trained. And they’re ready to put their skills and talents to work. James City County is a partner with the Virginia Values Veterans (V3) program to help find qualified veterans to hire. For more information, visit V3.